Loyola University of Chicago
1144 W. Loyola Ave.
Campion Hall Room 015
Chicago, IL 60626
Fr. Steve Krupa, SJ
Fr. Jack O’Callaghan, SJ
Become an IVC Volunteer
Thanks for your interest in learning more about the Ignatian Volunteer Corps! Please find below the process steps by which a prospective volunteer discerns membership with the IVC program.
Please read below about the Information Sessions.
1. Volunteer Discernment Process
- Inquiry from prospective volunteer
- Attend information session*
- Request application
- Complete and submit application
- Personal Interview with Director and Chaplain or Reflector
- References are contacted
- Accepted or not accepted into program
2. Agency Placement Process
- If accepted, IVC Member and Director discuss appropriate service project/agency placement.
- Member visits selected agencies; member and agency determine if the match is appropriate.
- Agency provides job description.
- Member and agency jointly establish regular volunteer schedule.
- IVC Member attends agency orientation and meets supervisor.
- IVC member completes Archdiocesan Safe Environment training and criminal background check.
3. Program Orientation
- New Member attends New Member Orientation in early September.
- Director and Chaplain assign a spiritual reflector for the new IVC Member (we will try to accommodate geographical concerns for convenience of meeting or other preferences).
- Member schedules initial meeting with spiritual reflector in Sept. and sets up regular monthly meetings according to schedule agreed upon by reflector and Member.
- IVC Member, Director, and agency check in periodically to evaluate ongoing working relationship; Director visits IVC Member and volunteer site.
- Member commits to regular reflection and spiritual formation opportunities including:
- Actively journaling on volunteer experience
- Meeting and participating with other volunteers at monthly community meeting and at Days of Reflection and annual overnight retreat
- Meeting monthly with spiritual reflector
* Information sessions are an opportunity to learn more about the Ignatian Volunteer Corps, meet current volunteers, and to ask any questions you have about the program. Information sessions are held from late winter to late spring. The schedule and registration will be available on the website once it has been established.
You can also contact IVC Program Manager Jacqueline Fitzgerald to learn more about getting started. Call Jackie at 312-961-6206 or send email to email@example.com.