One grace of being home more often is the opportunity to read, watch, learn and pray with people from around the world.
IVC colleagues from around the country have gathered the following resources to help direct our attention to soul-feeding, anxiety-busting, and educational activities.
Peruse the list below, and please share with others if you think it would be helpful to someone else. I hope there is at least one prayer or resource that will speak to you.
If you are interested about combating racism …
Books To Help Explain Racism and Protest to Children: The conversation about race needs to start early and keep happening
Books noted in Commonwealth Magazine
• Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-first Century, Dorothy Roberts
• The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, Michelle Alexander
• Racial Justice and the Catholic Church, Bryan N. Massingale
• When Affirmative Action Was White: An Untold History of Racial Inequality in Twentieth-century America, Ira Katznelson
• The Color of Christ: The Son of God and the Saga of Race in America, Edward J. Blum and Paul Harvey
• White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism, Robin DiAngelo
• Storming Caesars Palace: How Black Mothers Fought Their Own War on Poverty, Annelise Orleck
If you are interested in prayerful resources related to Ignatian Spirituality ….
- Here is an Examen that was created in response to COVID-19.
- In addition to the Examen, the Ignatian Solidarity Network has created these Prayers and Resources in response to COVID-19.
- Here is a Meditation for the Anxious.
- Ignatian Spirituality contains many prayerful resources, including Ignatian Wisdom for Troubled Times and, in addition to the Examen noted above, a Coronavirus response lesson for children in parishes and schools
- Pray As You Go has daily prayers by the Jesuits of Britain. Also now is Pray As You Stay, a weekly online retreat in response to COVID-19. There is also a library of Prayer Tools: the tool highlighted for this week is loneliness.
- Sacred Space is the prayer website for the Irish Jesuits, with a Reflection on the coronavirus.
- The Jesuit Prayer Team provides reflections on Scripture as well as short biographies on the “Blessed Among Us,” the ordinary people who led extraordinary lives who have gone before us
- God In All Things contains many prayerful resources, including an Audio Meditation on “Beloved.”
- Heart to Heart also contains a series of prayerful resources, including Practices for the Pandemic – The Sign of the Cross Mediation and Seeds of Hope Lenten Series.
- There is a Three Minute Retreat from Loyola Press.
- Do you like podcasts? Jesuit podcasts can be found at AMDG: A Jesuit Podcast and Jesuitical.
- Would you like to connect body and mind and prayer? Ignatian Yoga may be something for you.
Other prayerful resources ….
- Give Us This Day, a monthly publication of Scripture and reflections, is offering its digital version without charge.
- FaithND from the University of Notre Dame posts the daily gospel with a reflection and prayer.
- The Hallow app is a Catholic mediation app.
- Heart to Heart Catholic Media Ministry on YouTube, which includes weekly 15-20 minutes guided reflections during the pandemic starting with The Sign of the Cross.
- Another podcast? Here is one from Inside the Vatican.
- Stations of the Cross: Overcoming Racism provided by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- Pope Francis’s Daily Mass from Casa Santa Marta with English dubbing
- The Clarion Herald is keeping a running list of New Orleans area churches offering online video of their liturgies. Missing from this list — which I have particularly enjoyed — is the Sunday 10:30 am mass from the Ignatius Chapel Community at Loyola.
- Stations of the Cross with Archbishop Aymond
Would you prefer a single prayer? Here are some …
- Prayer for Healing
- Prayer for Peace and Solidarity in a Time of the Pandemic
- Pope’s Prayer to Mary
- Prayer for Conscience and Courage During Times of Public Struggle
Reflections about living during this time …
- From Jim Martin, SJ, Faith in the Time of the Coronavirus
- From Simcha Fischer, Good and Beautiful Things I’ve Seen Amid the Coronavirus Pandemic
- From Richard Rohr, OFM, Love Alone Overcomes Fear
- From Thomas Reese, Spirituality in a Time of Quarantine
- From Arturo Sosa, SJ, Superior General of the Jesuits, What Part of the Path to God does COVID-19 show us?
- Pope Francis’ Easter Urbi et Orbi message: “The contagion of hope” – Vatican News
Of course, this is just the beginning! Let the internet be your portal to a whole world of riches while you are limited to the safety of your home. And if you find anything particularly moving that you think would interest other members of the IVC New Orleans community, let me know at email@example.com!
Please keep one another in our prayers, as well as those who are ill or have died from Corona virus and racism, the loved ones who grieve, and our community leaders who inspire, lead and coordinate response efforts. May God show us the blessings in this suffering and the path toward healing.